August 12, 2017 Psalm 25 (NLT)

Psalm 25: 1-5, 21 (bold italics are mine)

O Lord, I give my life to you.
    I trust in you, my God!
Do not let me be disgraced,
    or let my enemies rejoice in my defeat.
No one who trusts in you will ever be disgraced,
    but disgrace comes to those who try to deceive others.
Show me the right path, O Lord;
    point out the road for me to follow.
Lead me by your truth and teach me,
    for you are the God who saves me.
    All day long I put my hope in you.
 
21 May integrity and honesty protect me,
    for I put my hope in you.

King David, who leads a nation...not to mention an army, trusts and expects God to lead him! All through this entire Psalm, David is relying on God's leadership and not on his own. He tries his best to follow God and not jump ahead of Him. As he moves through his day, deals with issues and complaints, he maintains his hope in God. 

Read the entire Psalm. David acknowledges he's a sinner and asks God for forgiveness. He speaks of fearing the Lord and the benefits that come from that. He knows where he has failed in his life and not acted with integrity and honesty...remember...he's human...we all have our "lesser than" moments and seasons. But he has witnessed the restoration and redemption of God. David knows that when he follows God's lead and obeys his teaching, and when he is a person of integrity and acts honestly...that he has put his hope in the right place. In God.

Often we place our hope in the latest meds, in doctors, in money and possessions, in family. We can place our hope in so many things. And while we do have to hope that meds will work and our drs will be right and we'll be able to cover our bills and our family will always be happy and healthy...our ultimate and main source of hope must be in God.

The meds may not work. The drs may get it wrong (they're a blessing, to be sure, but they're human). We may lose our money and possessions through a variety of ways. Family can let us down or die out. Our lives will hit bumps. They may hit a ditch. There will be the occasional stormy sea. There won't always be rainbow after rainbow. There will be rain. While life is good and a blessing, it's not absolutely perfect all the time. It's just not. That's the way of the world.

So we get to David's insistence on putting his hope on God. That never let him down.

No matter what happens. In the great, good, bad, and awful...

Maintain an attitude of hope.

God hasn't gone anywhere...don't lose hope! Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment